Validation

I just excused myself from a two-hour meeting. We (my illustrious place of employment) haven’t been having meetings lately, so I forgot how much I hate them. The last two hours served as a not-so-pleasant reminder. Meetings showcase hot-air and it drives me insane. These people just like to talk, and I just don’t CARE much for talking. And it’s so hard to feign caring. I cannot come out of a meeting like that, where I am the only one sitting there, not caring and not seeing the point, and feel remotely interested in doing some sort of work. The reality is that I don’t like what I do, and I’m not qualified to do much of anything else, and I don’t know what to do. What can I do beside bide my time until I figure out where to go?

I’m tired, and broke, and completely discouraged. And I don’t know what to do to make myself feel better, besides the requisite wallowing in self-pity. Sometimes you just have to wallow in it (or type it) to feel somewhat validated. As if hitting keys on a keyboard somehow makes your daily dose of Life Isn't Fair easier to bear.

What I can do is go eat some of J__’s cereal that she conveniently did not take with her when she so justifiably left her job here (other than two-year olds, I am the only person I know of who snacks on dry cereal). I can then add to my list (started during aforementioned meeting) of “Things Comparable to Putting the Dish-scrubber in the Dish Washer, Yet Leaving the Dirty Dishes in the Sink” being a wholly illustrative but not exhaustive list of additional actions undertaken by a jack-ass who washes the sponge but leaves the dirty dishes:

-putting bottle of Tide into wash machine before clothes
-washing hose before washing dirty car
-wipe down trash bags before putting trash in them
-folding wet laundry before putting in dryer.

This last one I don’t feel is quite parallel. But o well. We aren’t paid to think—we’re paid to talk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Economy Watch (Or, an Exercise in Parentheses)

Musings of a First Year Teacher

Waiting for Other People: A tragicomedy in two acts