A letter to Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square

I just addressed a letter that, once posted, will travel farther than I have in the last 3 years. By the same lack of togetherness that caused me to be administratively withdrawn from an online community college class (Seriously. I know, I know. Who am I?), I never sent in my official decline letter for my master’s *programme* at the University of London. My admissions offer first came in February last year; I duly applied for a deferment, it was granted, they sent me a new acceptance letter in October. I received something a few weeks ago about living in London and quickly dismissed it as a glitch in their system. But yesterday, when I got an earnest e-mail from someone asking me if I had questions about moving to London or my programme, my stomach did a flip-flop. So tonight, I went routing through my files for my October acceptance packet. And sure enough, I never sent back the letter.

This means, of course, I have to sign it and mail it immediately. In my e-mail to the earnest, friendly British women, I said I’d send it straightaway by post.


(When communicating with British people over e-mail, which I do about twice a year, I like to pretend that I too am British).

I stood with a pen in my hand looking at the letter without doing anything. I uncapped the pen, and signed it, slowly, and then dated it. Then I had to address the envelope. After I finished the so-English postal code (WC1H OXG), I wrote United Kingdom underneath. I wrote my address in the corner, and it just looked so plain. And it honestly, physically hurt in my chest.


Of course this is all complete bollocks— that I feel this way about a letter. But sending this letter, printed on A4 paper, means I am really and truly saying goodbye to this opportunity to go to back to England. And that makes me cry, like the sod I am.

Comments

SDunham said…
Go ahead, take the piss out of Posh and Becks, make yourself feel better.

Please try and catch the Daily Show with Colin Firth, he's so British. And hot, which makes the penis talk more palpable.

Popular posts from this blog

Economy Watch (Or, an Exercise in Parentheses)

Musings of a First Year Teacher

Waiting for Other People: A tragicomedy in two acts