Anything Bad is Normal, and Just Wait…Your Kid will be an Asshole by Age Three: The Mary Patterson Guide to Parenting


Dedicated to my Didgie. I love you to the moon and when the time comes, please put me in a good home.

Chapter 1: Pregnancy

Here is the breakdown:

First few days: Happy excitement.

After that through month four/five: Vomit zombie.

One day in month five: “I feel like a person again. I can do this!”

After that through month nine: WHALE.

Chapter 2: Birth
Horrifying.

Chapter 3: Aftermath
Also horrifying.

My favorite was the nurse emptying my catheter while my entire family was crammed into my room.

This is also when the Breastfeeding Army begins their onslaught. Hopefully you have a good partner who will tell them to **** off.

Chapter 4: Coming home

Post-partum sounds like post-mortem and it is not a coincidence.

It’s a good thing I took a parenting class because it was helpful as bollocks. Also, I get my period back super-fast and thought I was bleeding to death. It’s funny now, but at the time I was straight-up hyperventilating and realized maybe I need some Zoloft.

Chapter 5: Maternity leave

This is basically like lockdown, but you’re alone with a newborn. Bonus if this coincides with the hottest, most miserable time of the summer where you can’t even go outside to get the mail without sweating.

At this point, I realize I should have started thinking about childcare for the end of my maternity leave about two years before my child was born.

Chapter 6: Baby clothes

If you have more than four outfits, you have too many. If you have anything with snaps instead of zippers, just kill yourself.

Now, I don’t have a daughter, which means I don’t have to deal with bows/headbands/turbans and I’m just going to say it: I am honestly, actively grateful that I don’t have to deal with this at least once a week. I think I wore my first dress at age two, and not because my parents were woke, but because it was the 80s and no one cared about any of this crap.

Lest you think I’m gloating or judging (which I definitely am), the downside of baby boy clothes is that you have two options: 1) some douche-y hipster saying or 2) sharks or dinosaurs. Girl clothes, by contrast, have about 1 million options and even more sequins.

Chapter 7: Sleep

Forget it. You aren’t sleeping, ever again, unless you’re one of Those Parents whose kid is sleep-trained at eight weeks and then you can just kiss my ass.

Chapter 8: Swaddles

Sometime between 1982 and now, some asshole who hated life invented these monstrosities. They are the GD worst and a hassle, and anyone who says they found a good one is deluding themselves. Just burn them all when your child can (finally!) roll over.

Chapter 8: Food

Baby-led weaning? Home-made purees? Rice cereal with arsenic? Radioactive elements in your jarred sweet potatoes?

Get ready for a shit storm of options, “experts”, guilt, and in the end, a crap ton of grilled cheese.

Chapter 9: The displaced fur-baby

Your pet’s life ended the day that kid came home. It is sad, but what are you going to do? Rehome them like an asshole?

Chapter 10: the Pediatrician

Maybe this seems obvious, but babies hate doctors and they also hate shots. This is great because the first year, you have to go to the doctor for shots every other day and it is magical.

Chapter 11: Classes

This is where you realize that other kids aren’t like your kid, and other parents are other people, which is to say, terrible. Best to avoid until the last possible second.

Chapter 12: All the feels

This is best described as a sudden, huge surge of overpowering emotion vis-à-vis 1-how amazing this little person is and 2-how you could burst because you love them so much.

It can happen anywhere and may or may not be accompanied by tears.

Here’s an example: “He’s looking for the Christmas tree! I never should have taken it down! He’ll never be this little at Christmas ever again. Oh god!”

It’s a random, unexpected awareness of a deep and mighty love that makes you stop in your tracks and marvel at its power. It really is beyond description. Luckily, your chronically unhappy cat or a Lego underfoot will snap you out of it. But in that spare moment (ha! those!) when you have time to pause, it leaves you feeling teary, but so, so alive.

Happy Mother’s Day, mommas.

 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Economy Watch (Or, an Exercise in Parentheses)

Musings of a First Year Teacher

Waiting for Other People: A tragicomedy in two acts